LSA.141 | Acoustic Phonetics and Distinctive Features
Topics to be covered:
1) Acoustics of vowel production; vowel systems; quantal relations for vowels; nasal vowels.
2) Acoustics of sonorant and obstruent consonant production
3) Laboratory on acoustics of vowels and consonants; spectrogram reading
4) Review of defining articulation and acoustics for distinctive features
5) Enhancing gestures in English; examples from other language; modifications in running speech; models of speech perception
6) Laboratory exercises; more spectrogram reading