Please note that Monday, July 4th is a holiday and there will
be no classes on this day. Instead, that week's Monday classes
will meet on Friday, July 8, at their usual time and place. Friday,
July 8 is the only Friday on which there will be classes. All
other Fridays will be devoted to workshops.
was originally to be taught by Cheryl Zoll, will now be taught
by Junko Ito and Armin
Mester. The time will remain exactly the same. The new title
of LSA.202 is "Topics
in Prosodic Morphology".
24.227 "The Syntax of Algonquian Languages" has been
cancelled. Professor Bruening will not be able to attend
Participants and affiliates will have access to the internet
through the Athena Computing Environment. Participants and affiliates
will be able to browse the web, check email, complete classwork,
and print class materials using Athena workstations and printers,
which are located in clusters about the campus. Instructions for
registering for an Athena user account will be given to participants
and affiliates at check-in.
Faculty, participants and affiliates are strongly encouraged
to bring their laptops. This will permit you wireless access to
the internet on the MIT campus. We strongly recommend that PC
laptops come installed with a working wireless card and Windows
XP with Service Pack 2. We strongly recommend that Macintosh laptops
come installed with either an Airport or an Airport Extreme wireless
card and at least OS 10.2. In addition to the Athena clusters, there will be a small computer
lab dedicated to the Summer School, which will contain computers
loaded with software used in Summer School classes.
- Due to unexpected circumstances, we have to change the dates of LSA.242 ("Problems and Prospects of the Minimalist program"), taught by Prof. Noam Chomsky.
Prof. Chomsky was to teach on August 1, 2, and 3 from 7:00 to 10:00 p.m. Instead, he will teach on July 25, 26, and 27 from 7:00 to 10:00 p.m.
- LSA.115 "Language Processing and Pragmatics" has been cancelled. Professor Sedivy will not be able to attend the Institute.
- LSA.143 "Speech Processing and Language Acquisition: Focus on the First Year of Life" taught by Professor Mehler, will only be taught the second week, July 11th-14th. The class was originally scheduled for two weeks, July 5th-July 14th.
- LSA Dance Party
Lots of casual dancing! Argentine Tango and Salsa lessons and demos!
Refreshments and cash bar!
Date: Thursday, July 28
Time: 9:30pm to midnight
Location: La Sala del Puerto Rico, Building W20 (2nd floor), 84 Mass. Avenue
Additional Info: Please RSVP to Stefanie Hanlon at firstname.lastname@example.org
by July 25th.
- LSA.103: Chinese Historical Syntax, which
was originally to be taught by Shengli Feng, Tsu-Lin Mei and Alain Peyraube, will now be taught
Tsu-Lin Mei and Alain Peyraube only. Professor Feng will not be able to attend
- Due to the overwhelming response for the 4th of July barbeque, we are unable to hold the competitive games due to space constraints.
- LSA.137: Voice and Topicality in Mayan will now be held in 32-141, Stata Center. The days and time remains the same: MW 8:15–9:55am
- The workshop Frontiers in Imaging the Bi-/Multi-Lingual
Brain has been cancelled.
- LSA.311: Pragmatics in Linguistic Theory will now be held in
32-123, Stata Center. The days and time remain the same: MW 10:10-11:50am.
- LSA.105: Constructions in Context will now be held in 32-123, Stata Center. The days and time remain the same: MW 4:50-6:30pm.
- LSA.226: Semantic Development in First Language Acquisition will now be held in 32-123, Stata Center. The days and time remain the same: MW 2:55-4:35pm.
- LSA.242: Problems and Prospects of the Minimalist Program will now be held in 10-250. The days and time remain the same: MTW, 7/25-7/27, 7:00-10:00pm.
- The workshop The (3rd International) Workshop on Theoretical East Asian Linguistics will now be held in Harvard, Emerson 210. The days and time remain the same.
- LSA.236: Scalar Implicatures and the Organization of Grammar
will now be held in 32-141.
The days and time remain the same: MW 4:50-6:30pm.
- Reminder: The LSA Dance Party is Thursday,
July 28th beginning at 9:30pm in the Sala de Puerto Rico. All
LSA-related people are welcome, including their guests. No need
to register for this anymore.
- On Monday and Tuesday, August 1 & 2, all courses that are normally held in 32-141 will take place in 34-101. The following courses are affected by this change:
LSA.209, LSA.212, LSA.213, LSA.214, LSA.215, LSA.216, LSA.228 and LSA.236. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.