The Best Reason to Take the T is All Around You
Temporary subsidy increase
Through the fall of 2021, MIT will increase public transit subsidies for benefits-eligible Cambridge employees.
MBTA commuter and local lines update
Commuter train, subway, bus, and ferry services continue to ramp up with the goal of restoring pre-COVID service levels by the fall.
- The MBTA makes frequent schedule adjustments based on rider demand; check the MBTA schedules pages for recent changes, updates, and alerts.
- Learn about the Ride Safer program, including links to real-time crowding data.
- Face coverings are required on all modes and at all stations and platforms, indoors and outdoors, regardless of vaccination status, as mandated by the Commonwealth.
- Full details are available at mbta.com/covid19.
MBTA Commuter Rail and LinkPass distribution during COVID-19
In-person pickup of MBTA public transit passes is an option again, beginning with August passes.
- In-person pickup for passes will be available at the Atlas Service Center on the last three business days of the previous month (July 28-29-30 for August passes) and the first business day of the current month (August 2 for August passes), no appointment necessary.
- If you plan to pick up your pass in person, visit Atlas and change your delivery method to “Pickup at Atlas Service Building.”
- Note: You can still choose the Mail to Work or Mail to Home option.
- Employees with questions can email Robynn Cruz-Walker.
How to cancel a Commuter Rail Pass or LinkPass
To cancel or suspend your MBTA public transit pass:
- Visit Atlas by noon on the 15th day of the month before the month you want to suspend or cancel (i.e., by August 15 to suspend September, etc.)
- Click “About Me” in the top navigation bar
- Click “Commuting Benefits” in the left-hand navigation
- In the MBTA T-Pass Subsidy block click “Manage Account”
- Choose Cancel or Suspend
- If you wish to suspend your pass, click the “Suspended from” and “Resume on” drop-down boxes, enter the months and click Save.
- If you wish to cancel your pass, click the “Cancel from” drop-down box, click on the month and click Save.
- Note: The “suspend” option through Atlas can only be used for three months. If you suspect that you will not be returning to campus for three months or longer, consider canceling your LinkPass or Commuter Rail Pass. When you are ready to reactivate your pass, you will need to place the order at least one month and one day in advance of the month you need. You can also email Robynn Cruz-Walker for assistance.
Please note that no action is required for employees who have the Access MIT chip embedded in your MIT ID. Your access to free, unrestricted use of the local bus and subway systems will continue.
To resume your Commuter Rail pass or LinkPass
Note that the MBTA process to resume your T-Pass enrollment requires you to place the order at least one month and one day in advance of the month you need.
Kendall Square is a flourishing innovation hub that attracts start-ups and global enterprises from around the world. Each year, new researchers, technologists, scientists, students and entrepreneurs join the ranks of these organizations to make profound new discoveries and build technologies that are changing the world. However, the vibrancy and changes within our community also have an impact on our environment, infrastructure and transportation systems.
The Institute's Access MIT program provides Cambridge employees with a variety of affordable, low-carbon transportation options designed to inspire a change in the way the MIT community thinks about commuting. By connecting programs, education, decision-making, and modes of transportation, Access MIT strives to create a new awareness and shared understanding of transportation choices and their impacts.
Public transit is a vital low-carbon mode of transportation, and Access MIT is just one of the ways MIT encourages its use through subsidies for students, faculty, and staff. Find out more about how you can save by taking the T:
MBTA information and pricing for students
MBTA information and pricing for Cambridge campus faculty and staff
MBTA information and pricing for Lincoln Lab employees