The goals of the final projects are to:
» Give you the opportunity
to investigate the operation of some device / system / "thing" that has
always puzzled you
» To make the starter pages
for an MIT
Style How Things Work Web Site!! database
Each student must research how a device / system / "thing" (one not
taken apart in class) works and write a 2 - 4 page report.
These reports will be turned in as web pages and collated together as
the starter pages for How Things
The final projects are meant to:
» Expose you to things which are impractical to take apart in
» Share this information with your classmates and others in the
» Mandatory (You must hand in to pass)
» A sample
report will also be provided to guide you and for use as an HTML template.
» I will help you make your graphics
» We will have a short HTML training assignment to get you started.
This is really easy stuff!
Your reports should include:
- Name, Course, Year
- List of functional requirements and design parameters (1st, maybe 2nd
- Pictures, labels, & explanation of major components/geometry/flows
- Explanation of "how it works"
- Discussion of dominant & limiting physics
- Appropriate plots / graphs / tables explaining performance/operation
- A list of other machines/systems that use this device /system
See the sample report for more