Measurement of the Balmer lines
of atomic hydrogen and the fine structure of sodium
lines; determination of the mass of the deuteron
from the isotope shift. A high resolution monochromator
with a wavelength range from 2500 to 15,000 angstroms in first
and second order is used to study the Balmer lines
of hydrogen and the more complex hydrogenic spectrum
of sodium, using the mercury spectrum as the wavelength
The measured Balmer wavelengths
are compared with the quantum theory of the hydrogen
spectrum, and a value of the Rydberg is derived.
The transitions responsible for the sodium spectrum
are identified, and the regularities in the fine
structure and adherence to the selection rules
are observed. A research grade monochromator is
used to measure the isotope shift between the
Balmer lines of hydrogen and deuterium, and the
ratio of the deuteron mass to the proton mass
is derived from the data.
Student Wiki: Optical Emission Spectra of Hydrogenic Atoms
Lab Guide in PDF format
Hydrogen Fine Structure
W.E. Lamb, "Fine Structure of the Hydrogen Atom by a Microwave Method," Phys. Rev. 72, 241 (1947).
W.E. Lamb, "Fine Structure of the Hydrogen Atom Part I," Phys. Rev. 79, 549 (1950).
W.E. Lamb, "Fine Structure of the Hydrogen Atom Part II," Phys. Rev. 81, 222 (1951).
W.E. Lamb, Nobel Prize Lecture, "Fine Structure of the Hydrogen Atom," (1955).
T.W. Hansch et al., "Precision Measurement of the Rydberg Constant by Laser Saturation Spectroscopy of the Balmer Alpha Line in Hydrogen and Deuterium," Phys. Rev. Lett. 32, 1336 (1974).
P.J. Mohr, "Lamb Shift in a Strong Coulomb Potential," Phys. Rev. Lett. 34, 1050 (1975).
Lee, S.A. et al., "1S-2S Isotope Shift and 1S Lamb Shift Measured by Laser Spectroscopy," Phys. Rev. Lett. 35, 1262 (1975).
- N. Bohr, Nobel Prize Lecture, "for investigations of the structure of atoms and of the radiation emanating from them," (1922).
- H.E. White, Introduction to Atomic Spectra, (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1934), "Hydrogen Fine Structure and the Dirac Electron," pp. 132-138.
- F.K. Richtmyer, E.H. Kennard and T. Lauritsen, Introduction to Modern Physics, (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1955), "Multiplet Levels for One-electron Atoms," pp. 258-266.
- R.M. Eisberg and R. Resnick, Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, and Particles, (Wiley, New York 1974), "Spin-Orbit Interaction Energy and the Hydrogen Energy Levels," pp. 284-295.
- Hansch, T.W. Schawlow, A.L. and Series, G.W. "The Spectrum of Atomic Hydrogen," Sci. Am. 94-110 (March 1979).
Yvon Tutorial on Optics and Spectroscopy
- Hyperphysics Tutorial on Broadening of Spectral Lines
- SPEX 1250M Spectrometer
- SPEX 1250M
Installation Report (June 2002)
- Jobin Yvon Monochromator
- LabView Drivers Manual
- Jobin Yvon SpectrAcq 2
- Jobin Yvon
Interface Programming Manual (not used in Junior Lab)
- Peter ParkinsonBasic Monochromator for Instructional Use, pp. 1032-1038, 1967 AAPT Apparatus Competition
- Oriel UV Safety Goggles
- Oriel Pencil
Style Spectral Calibration Lamps
- Oriel Typical
Spectra of Oriel Spectral Calibration Lamps
- Oriel Calibration
Lamp DC Power Supply Model 6060
- Oriel Spectral
Line Lamp Mount 65160
Spectral Line Regulated Power Supply 65150