Temporary increase in subsidies
Your commute counts. Switch it up.
Access MIT represents the Institute’s progressive vision for rethinking the culture of commuting and encouraging sustainable transportation practices. These programs provide commuters with the flexibility to choose, day-to-day, how they would like to commute, and encourage us all to utilize a variety of transportation options over the course of a given week. By connecting the MIT community to flexible, affordable, and low-carbon transportation options, we seek to ease parking demand while positively impacting our campus, community, and environment.
Access MIT commuter benefits include:
- Free, unrestricted use of the MBTA subway and local bus systems for benefits-eligible Cambridge campus MIT faculty and staff with the Access MIT pass
- A 50-60% commuter rail subsidy for students, faculty, and staff
- A 50% subsidy for parking at MBTA stations, up to $100 per month
- Reimbursement for up to 50% of private transit commuting costs, up to $255 per month
- A daily rate parking program that gives commuters the flexibility to choose different transportation modes on different days
Get there with the Access MIT Pass — Your MIT ID and T-Pass in One
The Access MIT pass is part of the Access MIT program. All benefits-eligible faculty, staff, and postdoctoral scholars on the Cambridge campus have free access to MBTA subway and local buses embedded right in your MIT ID card, giving you the flexibility to choose, day-to-day, how you would like to commute. Read about the T-pass program.
Visit the Card Office to Upgrade your MIT ID today!
If you received your MIT ID after June 2016, your ID already includes the CharlieCard chip. If you have an older ID, stop by the MIT Card Office in Building E17-106 between 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM, Monday through Friday, and we’ll upgrade your ID, so you can start enjoying free access to the MBTA subway and local bus systems.
If you have questions about the Access MIT program, visit our FAQs.