Sharing a Ride Saves Money and Natural Resources
Sharing a ride to work or school can save you money, decrease wear and tear on your vehicle, and help preserve natural resources. MIT makes it even easier to share a ride by providing several sustainable options.
Eligible MIT employees and students interested in forming a carpool together may request the carpool through MITís parking app. Carpool members pay a reduced parking fee and no annual fee for parking at MIT. For more information, see the MIT carpool FAQ.
An MIT employee or student who occasionally needs a vehicle for short-term use can join Zipcar as a sustainable alternative. MIT hosts 13 Zipcars on campus and sponsors Zipcar memberships for staff and students. An MIT-sponsored member pays no application fee, no security deposit, and just a $25.00 annual fee.
Zipcars on campus are located at:
- NW86 Lot at 70 Pacific Street
- 600 Memorial Drive
- Eastgate Resident Lot
- Kresge Lot
- Stata Center Garage, Level P1
- Westgate Lot
Zipcars can be used by the hour or the day. Insurance and gas are included in the hourly and daily rates. Reserve online any time, pick up the car, and drive.
To apply, just sign up for a Zipcar account online. Note that Zipcar is a private company and is not affiliated with MIT.
MIT partners with Commute with Enterprise to offer a program that helps MIT employees share the commute in a vehicle provided by Enterprise. Vehicles are rented on a month-to-month basis, and the cost is split among participants. For eligible MIT employees, MIT provides a subsidy as well as pre-tax payroll deduction benefit.
- First, the rideshare group should select a primary member, and that member completes the Commute with Enterprise enrollment, explaining that this is an MIT group. Enterprise provides the group with an account number and estimated cost.
- The primary member then enrolls the rideshare group in the payroll deduction plan through Atlas (go to Commuting Benefits, Vanpool Subsidy). The deduction enrollment form must be completed no later than the 5th of the month prior to the month in which enrollment is to begin. (For example, if the rideshare plans to begin in February, enrollment must be made on or before January 5th.)
- MIT pays a subsidy of $100/month for each member of the rideshare group. This subsidy goes directly to Enterprise and is reflected in a reduced Commute with Enterprise cost.
- The groupís members are responsible for the remainder of the costs. Each member can elect to pay up to $30 of the remaining cost as a pre-tax payroll deduction.
- Enterprise will send an invoice directly to the primary member of the group, who is responsible for the full payment to Enterprise. The groupís other members are responsible for reimbursing the primary member for their shares.
- To terminate the rideshare, the primary member notifies Enterprise and must also cancel the deduction program on Atlas. The Atlas cancellation must take place no later than the 5th of the month prior to the month in which enrollment is to terminate.
MITís vanpool subsidy and pre-tax payroll deduction program is available to MIT employees only. Please note that employees may only participate in one MIT subsidized transportation program. Note also that the monthly rideshare benefit cannot exceed the actual cost of the service.