Mobility Pass Allows You to Carry One Card Instead of Two
A Mobility Pass combines the MIT ID and the MBTA LinkPass allowing you to carry one card that serves two purposes. The MIT Parking and Transportation Office, in cooperation with the MBTA, is setting the stage for more innovative, combined transit and parking benefits by offering a trial program.
MIT employees who currently hold a regular parking permit or an MBTA LinkPass will be randomly selected to participate in the Mobility Pass Trial.
Current MIT Full Time Parking Permit Holders
The Mobility Pass allows you to park as usual, but it also offers another option. Leave your car at home and take the subway or an MBTA bus to campus without paying an additional charge for the MBTA service.
- Go to the Parking and Transportation Office desk immediately after receiving your new card to re-activate your parking privileges.
- Don’t forget to bring your transponder if you subscribe to Hands Free Parking.
- Full-time parking permit holders will not be charged any additional monthly payroll deduction fee beyond the regular parking fee. In addition, any time you leave your car at home, you will be able to travel free on transit.
Current LinkPass Holders
The Mobility Pass allows you unlimited access to all regular MBTA bus and subway services covered by the current LinkPass. Please note that the Mobility Pass does not yet work on the Commuter Rail or Express Bus.
- If you currently purchase a Charlie Card through MIT, please turn it in immediately.
During the trial period MIT will monitor the total transit usage of these new cards. It will confidentially use information on the services that you use to help the MBTA improve their services.
- Use your Mobility Pass for unlimited access to all regular MBTA bus and subway services covered by the current LinkPass.
- The Mobility Pass program does not include the Commuter Rail, Ferry, or Express Buses.
MIT reserves the right to discontinue the Mobility Pass program. If the trial is discontinued, MIT will reissue you a regular CharlieCard without replacing your new ID card. If you discontinue your MIT transit benefit, the LinkPass capabilities will be turned off but you will still be able to use your card as a pay-as-you-go CharlieCard. If the trial is a successful and the program is launched, an announcement will be sent out to the community.
Sign Up in Person
Those selected to participate in the Mobility Pass Trial should stop by the MIT Card Office in W20-022 between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM.