home  contact us  site map


Employment Process

Please see Heidi Demers (26-516, 253-2362) or Elsye Luc (26-505, 452-2556) at the start of your employment in LNS to fill out all the necessary paperwork needed to process your appointment. 5 to 7 business days after your paperwork has been processed, you will have an MIT ID number.

Employment Eligibility (I-9 & E-Verify)

In accordance with the Department of Homeland Security, all faculty and staff paid by MIT are required to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States on or before their first day of work. This office is located at the Atlas Service Center, on the first floor of Building E17. For more information on the I-9 process, visit http://hrweb.mit.edu/i-9.

Once you have an MIT ID number, you may register for your Athena User Account (sometimes called a Kerberos/MIT/email account) at http://ist.mit.edu/accounts. This is your online identity at MIT. You may also get an MIT ID card at the Card Office, also located in the Atlas Service Center. ID Cards may be used for the MIT libraries, MIT Athena, MIT Parking and for the MIT food service. For further information call x3-3475.

New Employee Orientation & Onboarding


Things to Remember

Enroll in the following benefits within 31 days of your start date: Health Plan, Dental Plan, 401k Plan, Flexible Spending Account, Supplemental Life, and Vision Plan. You will be able to enroll for benefits on the third business day after you register for your Athena Account.

You can enroll for benefits, see paystubs, etc. using the following link: https://atlas.mit.edu/atlas/Home.action (Employee Self Service). You will need to have certificates on your computer when accessing personal data and benefits. For information and instructions on Certificates, please visit http://ist.mit.edu/certificates?category=6.

Parking & T-Pass

An MIT Parking Permit is required for any vehicle on MIT property. For further information on parking contact Elsye Luc, 2-2556, 26-505.

Eligible students, staff and faculty can apply for a subsidized T-pass account. For more information go to http://web.mit.edu/facilities/transportation/tpass.html.

Apply on-line for a T-Pass at https://commuting.mit.edu/parking/index.html.

Change of Status

Report any change in your MIT status, room number, MIT extension, email, home or telephone number, marital status, citizenship and other related information to the Elsye Luc, X2-2556. Please also update this information on the Employee Self Service (ESS) at https://atlas.mit.edu/atlas/Home.action#my_account_0


One month before an individual's resignation date, the LNS HQ Office should receive a Notice of Resignation form (termination form). This form must be completed by the individual and also by the supervisor and returned to LNS HQ for processing. The form must contain all pertinent information regarding termination date, forwarding address, vacation hours due, etc., as well as a reason for leaving, an evaluation of the employee's work performance, and eligibility for re-employment. The resignation form is required to remove an employee from the payroll, and must be received and processed in sufficient time to allow for the preparation of the employee's final check.

Visa Information for Incoming International Scholars