Facilities Leads Recycling Efforts
MIT’s environmental goals include increasing the rate of recycling in trash as well as larger items. With community support, the Institute’s recycling rate is 45%. MIT is working to increase that rate further because recycling saves money and reduces the environmental impact of waste.
Custodial Services handles daily removal of waste and recycled items in most buildings. Grounds Services manages large trash and recycling removal from buildings. A recycling team routes materials to appropriate disposal areas.
To order services from Custodial Services, Grounds Services or Repair and Maintenance, use the Building Services tab in SAPweb. Below is a list of some of the services available. There is no charge for our Basic Services, but there is for our Special Services, so be sure you have a Cost Object you can use to order these services.
- Trash and recycling pickup in offices
- Recycle white/color paper, cardboard put in desk or blue-top bins
- Recycle plastics, glass, metal cans in green-top bins
- Provide large, common area recycling bins for plastic, glass etc.
eWaste Pick Up
- Facilities no longer charges for the pick up of CPUs, monitors, printers or other electronics that weigh under 50 lbs. Please fill out the form in SAPweb) to request a pick up. Pick up can take up to 5 to 7 days because of high demand for this service.
- Pick-up and disposal of computer equipment weighing over 50 lbs. (Requires a fee.)
If you are having an event and would like to order containers for food waste, recycling and trash, use the Building Services tab in SAPweb and go to the Event Setup link.
More info? Visit the Recycling web page.