Diploma, Electrical Engineering, National Technical University, Athens, Greece, 1969
M.S., Engineering Science, California Institute of Technology, 1970
Ph.D., Engineering Science and Applied Mathematics,
California Institute of Technology, 1973
Other Professional Activities
- Editor-in-Chief, Reliability Engineering and System Safety , An International Journal, Elsevier Science Publishers, England
- Founder and Secretary, International Association for Probabilistic Safety Assessment and Management
- Member, Advisory Committee on Reactor Safeguards (Chairman, 2001-2002), U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
- Member, International Nuclear Technology Commission of the Federal States of Baden-Württemberg, Bavaria, and Hesse,Germany
- Member of the Editorial Boards of the journals Process Safety and Environmental Protection, Transactions of The Institution of Chemical Engineers, Part B (1991-Present); and Risk Analysis, An International Journal (1997-Present).
- Director, Risk-Informed Operational Decision Management, A Short Course for Utility Managers Sponsored by MIT and INPO, 1997-Present.
- Lecturer and member of the organizing committee, NASA Probabilistic Risk Assessment (PRA) Workshop for Managers and Practitioners, 2001.
- Technical Program Chairman, International Topical Meeting on Probabilistic Safety Assessment, Detroit, Michigan, October 6-10, 2002, American Nuclear Society.
- Chairman, NASA Peer Review Panel for the International Space Station Probabilistic Risk Assessment, 2002.
Honors and Awards
- Mark Mills Award, American Nuclear Society, 1974.
- Outstanding Service Award, Society for Risk Analysis, 1991.
- Fellow, American Nuclear Society, 1992.
- Fellow, Society for Risk Analysis, 1992.
- Tommy Thompson Award, Nuclear Installations Safety Division, American Nuclear Society, 1999.
- The Ruth and Joel Spira Award for Distinguished Teaching, MIT School of Engineering, 2005.
- Arthur Holly Compton Award in Education, American Nuclear Society, ("for developing innovative ways to educate students and professional engineers in the art and science of probabilistic risk assessment"), 2005.
- Member, National Academy of Engineering, for "Innovations in the theory and practice of probabilistic risk assessment and risk management" (elected in 2007).
Methods for probabilistic risk assessment of complex technological systems; risk management involving several stakeholder groups; decision analysis, human reliability models; organizational factors and safety culture; software dependability; risk-informed, performance-based regulation; risk assessment and management of terrorist threats.
Selected Recent Publications
- Fong, C.J., Apostolakis, G.E., Langewisch, D.R., Hejzlar, P., Todreas, N.E., and Driscoll, M.J., “Reliability Analysis of a Passive Cooling System using a Response Surface with an Application to the Flexible Conversion Ratio Reactor,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, 239: 2660–2671, 2009.
- Elliott, M.A., and Apostolakis, G.E., “Application of Risk-Informed Design Methods to select the PSACS Ultimate Heat Sink,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, 239:2654–2659, 2009.
- Li, H., Apostolakis, G.E., Gifun, J., VanSchalkwyk, W., Leite, S., and Barber, D., “Ranking the Risks from Multiple Hazards in a Small Community,” Risk Analysis, 29:438-456, 2009.
- Buongiorno, J., Hu, L.W., Apostolakis, G., Hannink, R., Lucas, T., and Chupin, A., “A Feasibility Assessment of the Use of Nanofluids to enhance the In-vessel Retention Capability in Light-water Reactors,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, 239: 941–948, 2009.
- Patalano, G., Apostolakis, G.E., and Hejzlar, P., “Risk-informed Design Changes in a Passive Decay Heat Removal System,” Nuclear Technology, 163:191-208, 2008.
- Koonce, A.M., Apostolakis, G.E., and Cook, B.K., “Bulk Power Grid Risk Analysis: Ranking Infrastructure Elements According to their Risk Significance,” International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 30:169-183, 2008.
- Mackay, F.J., Apostolakis, G.E., and Hejzlar, P., “Incorporating Reliability Analysis into the Design of Passive Cooling Systems with an Application to a Gas-cooled Reactor,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, 238:217-228, 2008.
Probability and its Applications to Risk Assessment and Reliability; Risk-Benefit Analysis; Nuclear Reactor Safety.