Due to COVID-19, the information in this Guide is superseded by new Institute policies and procedures.
For the most up to date information, visit: https://institute-events.mit.edu/covid-19_eventplanning

Event Regulations


The Federal Copyright Act (Title 17 of the U.S.Code) governs how copyrighted materials including films and musical works can be used and shown. The showing or viewing of the film, movie, music, or any other copyrighted work in a tavern, restaurant, private clubs or any other place not considered a home requires the permission of the copyright owner. Before holding your event, please go to the following link for more information: tlo.mit.edu and also speak with a member of the SOLE staff for more info.

If you are unable to locate an answer for your specific question, please contact the Student Organizations, Leadership and Engagement Office 253-6777 or at sole@mit.edu. We may not have the answer initially, but we can help to find an answer.