How We Collaborate
Your assigned CPEC Project Manager collaborates with you, the Office of the Provost, designers, contractors, the City of Cambridge, and the necessary MIT departments to ensure successful completion of your project.
Here are the responsibilities of the primary team members:
Department, Lab, or Center Representative
- Outlines needs and provides goals for the space change project
- Secures funding for the project
- Obtains official approval from both the Department Head and the Dean/Unit Head
- Provides scheduling requirements and assists with equipment selection. See related lab relocation and equipment purchase roles and responsibilities for additional information.
- Appoints a DLC coordinator or final decision-maker to be responsible for addressing funding, scope, scheduling and intradepartmental communications throughout the process
- Manages existing space clean-out prior to the start of the project
Office of the Provost
- Approves space assignments, including swing space as needed
- Allocates funding, if available (Projects that are fully funded by their DLC get expedited. However, in certain cases, the Office of the Provost does provide some funding.)
- Approves all changes to public space such as corridor signage and electronic displays
CPEC Project Manager
- Coordinates MIT departments such as the MIT Office for Environment, Health & Safety and Facilities' System Engineering Group, Repair and Maintenance, and the Operations Center
- Manages project scheduling
- Provides project updates and status reports through various means of communication
- Creates cost estimates
- Coordinates design and code compliance
- Works with contractor to manage project construction
- Secures project Certificate of Occupancy and warranties.