B.S.M.E., Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 1975
S.M., Nuclear Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1977
S.M., Materials Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1978
Sc.D., Nucl. Mat. Eng., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1982
Recent Professional Service
- US Department of Energy Technical Assistance Group (TAG) for Disposition of N-Reactor Fuel
- US Department of State Technical Advisory Committee on Conditioning of North Korean Reactor (DPRK) Fuel
- US Department of Energy Technical Advisory Committee on Disposition of Savannah River Reactor Site Metallic Fuel
- American Nuclear Society, Materials Science and Technology Division, Committee Member
Major Product Development
Responsible for the conception, development, and bringing to commercial acceptance of a super alloy, Alloy 908, for use in cryogenic magnet systems. This alloy was chosen as the sheath material for ITER (International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor).
- Environmental effects on materials behavior
- Advanced materials for fusion systems advanced statistical and experimental techniques for experimental analysis
- Nuclear fuel performance analysis
US Patent Number 4785142, issued 11/15/88
European Patent Number 0285952, issued 3/1/92
Title: "Superconductor Cable"
Patent Holders: R.G. Ballinger, D.F. Smith (INCO Alloys, Inc.), B.L. Lake (INCO Alloys, Inc.)
Patent is for a new high strength, Low Coefficient Expansion (COE) alloy for use as a structural material for Nb3Sn superconducting cables. The use of this new alloy will allow higher current carrying capability by the superconductor and, thus, higher fields and/or smaller hardware. The new alloy also has use in high temperature gas turbine engine applications.
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Y. Watanabe, R. Ballinger, O.K. Harling, G.E. Kohse, "Effects of Neutron Irradiation on Transpassive Corrosion Behavior of Austenitic Stainless Steels," Corrosion 51 (9), 1995, pp. 651-659.
- B.W. Brisson, R.G. Ballinger, A.R. McIlree, "IGSCC Crack Initiation in Mill Annealed Alloy 600 Tubing in High Temperature Caustic," Corrosion 54 (7), 1998, pp. 504-514.
Papers in Refereed Conferences
- T. Shoji, S. Suzuki, R. Ballinger, "Theoretical Prediction of SCC Growth Behavior-Threshold and Plateau Growth Rate." Seventh International Symposium on Environmental Degradation of Materials in Nuclear Power Systems - Water Reactors, Breckenridge, CO, 8/7-8/10/95, 881-892.
- C.H. Jang, D.C. Grundy, R.G. Ballinger, M.M. Steeves, "Characterization of Simulated Production Welds in Alloy 908," Adv. in Cryogenic Eng., in press.
- M.M. Morra, M.M. Steeves, R.G. Ballinger, "The Effects of Oxygen Concentration, Stress, Temperature and Cold Work on the Constant-Load Stress-Rupture Behavior of Incoloy Alloy 908," Adv. in Cryogenic Eng., in press.
- B.W. Brisson, R.G. Ballinger, A.R. McIlree, "IGSCC Crack Initiation in Mill Annealed Alloy 600 Tubing in High Temperature Caustic," Eighth International Symposium on Environmental Degradation of Materials in Nuclear Power Systems - Water Reactors, Amelia Island, FL, 8/10-8/14/97.
- A. Chatelain, B. Anderson, R.G. Ballinger, G. Wikmark, "Enhanced Corrosion of Zirconium-Base Alloys in Proximity to Other Metals: The Shadow Effect," International Topical Meeting on Light Water Reactor Fuel Performance, Park City, UT, 4/10-4/13/2000.
22.A01 Fatigue of Freshmen and Other Materials
22.012 Seminar in Fusion and Plasma Physics
22.033/33 Nuclear Engineering Design
22.32 Power Reactor Operations and Safety
22.63 Engineering Principles for Fusion Reactors
22.72J Corrosion: The Environmental Degradation of Materials
22.721 Nuclear Fuels
22.911 Seminar in Nuclear Engineering
22.912 Seminar in Nuclear Engineering
22.92 Advanced Engineering Internship
- June-July 1999. Participant (Lecturer) in MIT Reactor Technology Program for Utility Executives, Sponsored by National Academy for Nuclear Training.
- July 1999. "Reactor Materials Issues," MIT Nuclear Engineering Department Reactor Safety Course.
- December 1, 1999. "Competitive Nuclear Power? Yes: The Case for the Pebble Bed Reactor," American Nuclear Society, Northeastern Section.