Dennis G. Whyte
Director, Plasma Science and Fusion Center
Professor of Nuclear Science and Engineering
Assistant: Natalie Counts
Ph.D. U. Quebec 1993
M.Sc. U. Quebec 1989
B. Eng. U. Saskatchewan 1986
Magnetic Fusion Energy: Boundary plasma physics, advanced plasma confinement regimes in tokamaks, plasma diagnostics, mitigation of disruption damages
Plasma-Surface Interactions: basic physics of plasma-material interfaces, dynamic measurement techniques for material evolution under plasma bombardment, implications of plasma-surface interactions in magnetic fusion reactors
Accelerators and Surface Analysis: low-energy nuclear scattering techniques for material analysis and damage, development of in-situ surface diagnostic methods for magnetic fusion
- D. G. Whyte, A. E. Hubbard, J. W. Hughes, B. Lipschultz, J. E. Rice, E. S. Marmar, M. Greenwald, I. Cziegler, A. Dominguez, T. Golfinopoulos, N. Howard, L. Lin, R. M. McDermott, M. Porkolab, M. L. Reinke, J. Terry, N. Tsujii, S. Wolfe, S. Wukitch and Y. Lin, "I-mode: an H-mode Energy Confinement Regime with L-mode Particle Transport in Alcator C-mod," Nuclear Fusion 50, 105005, 2010.
- Z. S. Hartwig and D. G. Whyte, "Simulated plasma facing component measurements for an in situ surface diagnostic on Alcator C-Mod," Review of Scientific Instruments 81, 10E106, 2010.
- D.G. Whyte “On the consequences of neutron induced damage for volumetric fuel retention in plasma facing materials,” Journal of Nuclear Materials, 390-391, 911-915, June 2009.
- D.G. Whyte, et al. “Studies of requirements for ITER disruption mitigation systems,” Proc. 22nd IAEA Fusion Energy Conference, Geneva, Switzerland, October 2008, IT/P6-18 1-4.
- D. G. Whyte, R. Granetz, M. Bakhtiari, V. Izzo, T. Jernigan, J. Terry, M. Reinke & B. Lipschultz "Disruption mitigation on Alcator C-Mod using high-pressure gas injection: Experiments and modeling toward ITER." Journal of Nuclear Materials, 363-365, 1160-7, June 2007.
22.62 Fusion energy
22.63 Fusion Technology
22.01 Introduction to Nuclear Engineering and Ionizing Radiation
- Ruth and Joel Spira Award for Distinguished Teaching
- Fellow, American Physical Society Division of Plasma Physics
- Department of Energy Plasma Physics Junior Faculty Award
Labs + Groups