MIT Provides Parking Discounts for Eco-friendly Vehicles
MIT offers a 20% discount off of the regular MIT parking permit cost if you commute to MIT in a vehicle rated as SmartWay Elite. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) created the SmartWay Elite certifications as a way to rate vehicles based on their emission levels and fuel economy values. The Elite status holds the highest standards and is earned by those vehicles that score 9 or better on both the Greenhouse Gas Score and Air Pollution Score.
By implementing the SmartWay Elite program, MIT hopes to reduce the environmental impact from commuters who need to drive to MIT. In addition, the program is an incentive for MIT drivers to choose an environmentally friendly vehicle the next time you make a vehicle purchase.
Take these steps to apply for the discount:
- If this is your first year to apply, confirm whether your car qualifies as SmartWay Elite by contacting the Parking & Transportation Office.
- Then, fill out the MIT SmartWay Elite application form. This form can be used for first time applications as well as the annual renewals.
- Take or mail the application form, a copy of your original vehicle documents or a copy of your vehicle registration to the Parking and Transportation Office in Building W20-022.
- Once the MIT Parking and Transportation Office confirms that your vehicle qualifies as SmartWay Elite, you will be issued the discount effective on the date the application was submitted.
- Note, you must reapply for this discount every year when you renew your annual MIT parking permit.