SafeRide adds OnDemand service for late night
On Monday, February 12, we’re launching a pilot program to provide a new SafeRide OnDemand shuttle on the MIT campus. SafeRide will continue to operate as a fixed-route circulating shuttle from 6 PM-11 PM each night. From 11 PM through the end of service, SafeRide will switch to an OnDemand mode. After 11 PM each night, riders can request a pickup using the TransLoc application or website. Schedules, maps, and instructions are included below.
View a quick guide on setting up and using the app.
The Parking and Transportation Office operates MIT's safety shuttle service, known as SafeRide. SafeRide provides a safe means of transportation at night within and around the MIT campus and to some Boston neighborhoods where MIT students live. This is a free service and is available to all members of the MIT community who have an MIT Kerberos account.
SafeRide operates two schedules: a regular schedule when classes are in session and a holiday/summer schedule. Hours of operation are from 6 PM to 2:30 AM Sunday through Wednesday and 6 PM to 3:30 AM Thursday through Saturday.
Introducing the SafeRide OnDemand pilot, for service after 11 PM
Beginning on Monday, February 12, 2018, we are piloting a late-night OnDemand mode for the SafeRide shuttle. SafeRide shuttles will switch into an OnDemand mode at 11 PM and will stay in this mode until the end of service each night. Please note that “last call” for a ride will be 15 minutes before the end of service.
|Fixed-route mode||6 PM – 11 PM||6 PM – 11 PM|
|OnDemand mode||11 PM – 2:30 AM
Note: Last call 2:15 AM
|11 PM – 3:30 AM
Note: Last call 3:15 AM
How OnDemand works
During the OnDemand mode, instead of waiting at a shuttle stop, members of the MIT community who need a safe ride can use the TransLoc Rider mobile app or online service to request a pickup and drop-off at locations within the designated SafeRide zone. In OnDemand mode, a 14-passenger van will provide door-to-door transportation similar to Uber or Lyft.
SafeRide hours of operation and zones
SafeRide shuttles carry riders between designated shuttle stops at scheduled intervals along a fixed route (view maps below for routes, stop locations, and schedules).
Sunday-Saturday, 6 PM – 11 PM
Academic year: route maps/schedule
Holiday/summer: route maps/schedule
The holiday/summer routes are in effect during the following breaks:
- Spring 2018: March 24 - 30
- Summer 2018: June 4 - August 4
- Winter 2018: December 20 - January 22, 2019
Please note that inclement weather, vehicle maintenance, and heavy traffic conditions may affect the times listed on the schedules.
The SafeRide vehicles are driven by employees of our parking and transportation vendor, SP+, who maintain direct communication with the SafeRide Office and the MIT Police.
The SafeRide service has designated a wheelchair-accessible vehicle for each route. These vehicles are available on-call to anyone who requires this service during the scheduled hours.
A rider requests a pickup at a location within the pickup zone via the TransLoc Rider app or online service. Shuttles travel to in-zone locations as requested by riders. No set pickup times, no set route. Shuttle goes where needed, when needed within the designated zone.
Sunday–Wednesday, 11 PM to 2:30 AM (Request by 2:15 AM)
Thursday–Saturday, 11 PM to 3:30 AM (Request by 3:15 AM)
Zone map (full year)
- OnDemand zone map (PDF)
- Note that the OnDemand mode schedule and zone will remain the same all year, with no separate schedule or zone for holidays/summer.
Using the SafeRide OnDemand Service
- Request a pickup using the TransLoc Rider app or the online program (if you don’t already have it, download the TransLoc Rider app or visit the TransLoc Rider site to access the program).
- When you login to the app or program, bypass the “username / password / create account” fields and choose “MIT Transit” from the list of universities. Note: To connect correctly with MIT’s OnDemand service, you should always login by choosing “MIT Transit” instead of entering a username and password.
- First-time users will be prompted to create an account. View the step-by-step guide on the FAQ page.
- The app or program will guide you through the process of selecting pickup and drop-off locations. View the step-by-step guide on requesting a pickup.
- During overnight hours, contact the SafeRide manager at 617-253-2997 or by email. (Sun-Wed 5 PM to 2:30 AM; Thurs-Sat 5 PM to 3:30 AM)
- Following end of service, the MIT Police will accommodate requests for after-hour safety rides until daylight. Call 617-253-1212.
- From 8 AM – 5 PM and for further information about SafeRide, please call the Parking and Transportation Office at 617-258-6510 or send an email.
- Students may also contact the Office of the Dean for Student Life with general concerns and questions. Call Judy Robinson, Senior Associate Dean for Residential Education, at 617-253-4052.
Provide feedback on the pilot (February – June 2018)
Let us know your thoughts on the OnDemand SafeRide shuttle pilot. Visit the feedback form.