NSE’s Ballinger appointed to NRC Advisory Committee on Reactor Safeguards
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has appointed Professor Ronald Ballinger to the Advisory Committee on Reactor Safeguards (ACRS) for a four-year term.
Ballinger is a professor of nuclear science and engineering and also materials science and engineering and is head of the H.H. Uhlig Corrosion Laboratory at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. His areas of specialization are materials selection, nuclear engineering systems, environmental degradation, and life assessment of these systems. In addition to the courses he has taught at MIT, Professor Ballinger has also developed and has taught several industrial courses on environmental degradation with EPRI and the Materials Aging Institute.
Professor Ballinger has a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from Worcester Polytechnic Institute. He earned master’s degrees in nuclear engineering and materials science and a doctorate in nuclear engineering from MIT. He is a member of several professional societies and has chaired the Materials Science and Technology Division of the American Nuclear Society.
The other members of the ACRS include:
- J. Sam Armijo, chairman, adjunct professor of materials science and engineering at the University of Nevada, Reno
- John W. Stetkar, vice chairman, principal of Stetkar and Associates, Lake Forest, Calif.
- Harold Ray, member-at-large, retired chief executive vice president of Southern California Edison Company, Rosemead, Calif.
- Sanjoy Banerjee, professor of chemical engineering and director of the Institute for Sustainable Energy Technologies at the Grove School of Engineering at City College of New York, N.Y.
- Dennis C. Bley, president of Buttonwood Consulting, Inc., Oakton, Va.
- Charles H. Brown, Jr., senior advisor for electrical systems for BMT Syntek Technologies, Inc., Arlington, Va.
- Michael L. Corradini, professor and chairman of the department of engineering physics at the University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Dana A. Powers, senior scientist for Sandia National Laboratories in Albuquerque, N.M.
- Joy L. Rempe, laboratory fellow and group leader at the Idaho National Laboratory, Idaho Falls, Idaho
- Peter Riccardellato, former principal investigator on a number of Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) projects.
- Michael T. Ryan, principal of Michael T. Ryan and Associates LLC, Lexington, S.C.
- William J. Shack, retired associate director of the energy technology division, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, Ill.
- Gordon R. Skillman, independent consultant in nuclear power plant design and registered professional engineer in Pennsylvania and Virginia.